Tri tip roasts are a great protein to smoke on your grill or smoker. Slice it thin and enjoy some tacos or loaded sandwiches!
If you don’t have a smoker, you can still get great results on your grill. Try to keep the heat low and add the smoking chips directly to the coals, or your smoking chip box.
- Preheat a smoker to 200°F, using the hickory smoking chips.
- Trim off any excess fat from the meat and cover all over with mustard.
- Season generously all over with the American Jerk Rub.
- Place the meat in the smoker and cook for roughly 45 minutes per pound.
- You are looking for an internal temperature of 135°F for medium rare.
- When the meat is ready, briefly sear on all sides in a skillet or on a very hot grill.
- Allow 10-15 minutes of rest time before slicing.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.