Originally adopted from India, Kedgeree is a classic breakfast meal in Britain.
- Apple Smoking Chips
- 24 oz. Haddock or other white fish
- ½ cup Kosher Salt
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 1 Tbsp. Turmeric
- 6 Eggs
- 1 cup Peas
- 4 Tbsp. Parsley, chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1 Lemon, for serving
The elements of this dish will keep well separately in the fridge and are quick to toss together for a satisfying meal.
- The day before, dissolve the salt and sugar in cold water, add fish and allow to brine for 3 – 5 hours under refrigeration.
- Remove the fish from the brine and set on a rack in the fridge overnight to dry out.
- The next day, fire up the smoker and set it to 175˚F. Smoke the fish for up to 3 hours depending on it’s thickness. It will have golden hue and will flake easily when ready. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the rice according the package, adding the turmeric to the cooking water.
- Add the peas to the rice during the last 2 minutes of cooking and season with salt, set the rice aside.
- While the rice cooks, put the eggs in a pot of cold water on med-high heat. When the water begins to simmer, set a timer for 6 minutes. After 6 minutes, plunge the eggs immediately into an ice bath to completely cool. Then peel and quarter.
- To serve, flake the smoked fish over the rice, top with hardboiled egg, tomato, and chopped parsley, Serve generously with lemon.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.