You will need a paella pan or a shallow dish for this recipe.
Total Time: 1 hour
- Cherry Smoking Blocks
- 1 lb. large Shrimp, preferably shell on
- Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 cups White Rice
- a good pinch of Saffron
- ½ cup Green Peas
- 2 Tbsp Parsley, chopped
- plenty of Lemon wedges
Don’t like peas? Try dicing up carrots or bell peppers instead!
- Light a fire in a barrel smoker. Wait for the flames to dissipate and allow hot coals to develop. You can also use an electric or pellet smoker set at 350˚ F or above.
- While the fire is lighting, marinate the shrimp. Combine the shrimp with some olive oil, garlic, a good pinch of salt, paprika, and some lemon slices.
- Warm a few tablespoons of water in a pan, and add the saffron to allow it to bloom.
- Rinse the rice in cold water, then put it into your paella pan. Cover the rice with hot water to about an inch above the surface.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp of salt and the saffron to the rice water.
- Cover the pan tightly and set on the smoker. Cook for about 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Stir in the peas and top with the shrimp.
- Keep the pan uncovered and continue to cook for another 15 minutes or until the shrimp are golden and cooked through.
- Top with the chopped parsley and serve with lemon slices.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.