Outside of BBQ, grilled cheese sandwiches are a family favorite and a serious comfort food. My wife and I are constantly trying to one up each other. Here’s my current favorite.
- 2 Cedar Grilling Planks
- 2 Blocks of Wildwood Cherry Smoking Blocks
- 4 slices White Bread
- 4 slices thick-cut Bacon
- Gouda Cheese, sliced
- Sharp Cheddar, sliced
- 1 Honeycrisp Apple, thinly sliced
To mix things up, you can experiment with different cheese combinations!
- Set up your grill for indirect grilling and add the Cherry smoking blocks. Close lid.
- As your grill is coming up to temperature, soak your planks in hot water for about 15 minutes.
- Place them on the grill and close the lid. Wait about 5 minutes. Assemble your sandwiches open-face style, because we want that smoke to penetrate the cheese. Close the lid.
- Wait about 15 minutes, and the cheese should be melting.
- Layer the bacon on one side and the apple on the other. Close the lid and wait about 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and assemble your sandwich. I like to then put the sandwiches directly on the grill and put grill marks on the grilled cheese.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.