The fresh Cedar flavor really permeates the trout, adding sautéed bacon and garlic turns this dish into a substantial and satisfying meal. We served the trout with grilled asparagus and carrots.
We grilled this meal up on the Pit Boss 820D Pellet Grill. For delicate protein like trout, the Pit Boss pellet grill is ideal. It provides and maintains a consistent temperature that is crucial for quick-cooking items.
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 – 5x8” Cedar Planks
- 4 Rainbow Trout boneless filets
- 16 spears Asparagus, trimmed
- 6 Carrots
- 6 slices Bacon, diced
- 3 cloves of Garlic, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Chives, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
If available, rainbow carrots can add a variety of colors to the plate.
- Soak the Cedar planks in warm water for 15 minutes, and preheat the grill to 400°F.
- Cut the carrots in half lengthwise and add to a bowl with the asparagus.
- Season with salt, pepper and oil, toss to coat.
- Rinse and pat the trout dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the trout on the planks and set on the grill. Add the asparagus and carrots to the grill.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, with the lid closed.
- While the trout and vegetables cook, dice the bacon and add to a saute pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes then add the garlic. Remove from the heat when the bacon is crispy.
- Top the trout with the bacon, sprinkle on the chives and serve with the grilled vegetables.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.
Matt worked his first kitchen job in the country of Malta at the age of 15. He has worked as a restaurant Chef in Arizona, Maine, Spain, the UK, Oregon and finally North Idaho. Now the Executive Chef at Wildwood Grilling, he thoroughly enjoys his day job.