These little treats come with a surprise filling and make a great appetizer for any holiday spread. You can easily use a stuffing mix to make this recipe come together faster.
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 Maple Grilling Planks
- 2 oz. Cream Cheese
- 2 cups Bread, torn or cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Carrot, peeled
- 1 small Onion, peeled
- 1 stalk Celery
- ½ cup Chicken, Turkey or Vegetable Stock
- 1 Tbsp. Thyme, dried
- ¼ cup Cranberries
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
Place the cream cheese in the freezer to firm up for an hour before cutting.
- Place the cream cheese in the freezer to firm up.
- Soak the planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes, and preheat the grill to 400°F.
- Cut the carrot, onion and celery to a small dice, add to a pan with the butter and sauté until translucent.
- Add the cranberries to the pan with the stock and cook for 2 minutes, until the berries have softened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the bread.
- Stir to combine until moist enough to roll into balls.
- Divide the mixture evenly and form 8 small flattened patties, about 2” in diameter.
- Remove the cream cheese from the freezer and cut into 8 equal sized cubes.
- Set a cube on each patty and pull the edges around to enclose the cream cheese inside the stuffing ball.
- Set the stuffing balls on the planks and cook for 15-20 minutes or until well heated through.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.