Sambuca is an anise flavored liqueur that pairs well with the fennel in the salad.
Total Time: 30 minutes
For the salmon
- 2 5″x11″ Cedar Grilling Planks
- 4 – 6 oz. portions Copper River Sockeye Salmon, deboned
- ½ cup Sambuca
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
Potato, Fennel and Radish Salad with Smoked Avocado Vinaigrette
- 1 lb. Baby Red Potatoes
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- ½ bunch Radishes
- ¼ cup Cilantro
- ½ cup Smoked Olive Oil
- ¼ cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1 ripe Avocado
- Salt and Pepper
Make the glaze in advance so that it has time to chill. The colder it gets, the more syrupy and effective it becomes as a glaze.
- Preheat the grill to 450°F and soak the Cedar planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- To make the glaze, place the sambuca and sugar in a pan, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add the potatoes to a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until tender. Rinse under cold running water.
- Slice the radishes into thin half circles.
- Remove the top of the fennel bulb, and reserve one of the stalks for garnish. Remove the core, and slice the bulb thinly.
- Drain the potatoes, and slice into ½” thick half circles.
- To make the dressing, place the vinegar in a food processor, and very slowly add the oil to emulsify.
- Add the avocado, a pinch of salt and pepper, and blend until smooth.
- Brush the salmon liberally with the sambuca glaze, and sprinkle on some salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon on the plank and set on the grill for 15 minutes, or until done.
- Place the potato, fennel and radishes in a mixing bowl. Gently combine with the dressing and garnish with the cilantro and torn fennel fronds.
- Serve the salmon warm on the salad with lemon wedges.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.