This tasty clam dish is inspired by classic Chinese flavors.
Total Time: 15 minutes
- Cherry Smoking Chips
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh Ginger, minced
- 1 Red Chili, sliced thin
- 1 lb. fresh Clams
- ½ cup light Beer
- 2 Tbsp Chinese Black Bean Sauce
- ½ Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Green Onions, sliced
We like to use manila clams because they are small and sweet. Let them sit in cold salty water for a few hours before cooking to purge them of any sand or grit.
- Preheat a charcoal grill to around 500°F.
- Sort the clams by giving them a rinse in cool, fresh water and discard any that are not closed.
- Place a cast iron skillet on the grill for ~5 minutes to preheat.
- Add a dash of oil to the skillet, then add the garlic, ginger, and chili, cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the beer, bean sauce, clams, and fish sauce. Toss to combine.
- Throw a handful of cherry smoking chips on the coals and set the skillet on the grill, close the lid on the grill.
- Cook for 5 minutes then add a some more smoking chips. Toss the pan and cook until all the clams have opened, about another 5 minutes.
- Discard any clams that have not opened.
- Serve immediately garnished with green onion.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.