The milder wood flavor of Alder is well suited to the delicate taste of halibut.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 Alder Grilling Planks
- 4 – 6 oz. Halibut portions
- 8 oz. Butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp. Parsley, chopped
- ½ Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Shallot or Onion, minced
- 8 oz. Mushrooms, assorted varities
- 2 cups Spinach, fresh
- 1 cup Green Peas
- Drizzle Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
Allow the halibut to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before cooking, this will allow the fish to cook more evenly.
- To make the herb butter, combine butter with the parsley, lemon, garlic and shallot.
- Add a pinch each of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill or oven to 450°F and soak the planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- Place the halibut on the soaked planks. Rub the fish with a little oil and salt.
- Place in the grill or oven and cook for 15 minutes, or until done. The internal temperature should be 120-125°F.
- Slice the mushrooms and add to a pan with half the herb butter.
- Saute the mushrooms over medium heat until soft, then add the peas, spinach and the rest of the butter. Remove from the heat when the spinach has wilted.
- Serve the halibut on the plank and top with the buttered mushrooms.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.