This recipe involves some waiting time but the amount of work it requires is very little. The results are most definitely worth it.
Total Time: 2 days
For the Brine
- 1 side of Salmon
skin on and pin bones removed
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Kosher Salt
For the seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. White Sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Kosher Salt
- ½ Tbs. Fennel Seed, crushed
- ½ Tbsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 Tbsp. Green Peppercorns, crushed
- ½ Tbsp. Orange peel, dried or fresh zest
- 3 cups Alder Smoking Chips
You can use any kind of smoker for this recipe. I chose an electric smoker to help maintain a consistent temperature.
- Combine the sugar and salt with a little hot water and stir to dissolve.
- Place the salmon in a pan and add the salt/sugar solution, add enough cold water to cover, refrigerate overnight.
- The next day remove the salmon from the brine and place on a cooling rack over a pan to catch any drips. Refrigerate the salmon, skin side down and keep uncovered for 24 hours, the surface of the salmon will become tacky during this time.
- The next day, combine all the seasoning ingredients and cover the top of the salmon
- Add some Alder chips and preheat the smoker to 180°F.
- Place the salmon on a center rack and smoke for 4 hours, adding more chips every 45 minutes.
- Cool the salmon and slice thin, serve with toasted bagels, capers, red onion and fresh lemon.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.