Cooking a whole steelhead can be intimidating. But there’s something about preparing it with the fresh herbs and other ingredients that brings us back to how life used to be here in the Pacific Northwest, where natives were dependent on the yearly fish runs for their food. Cooking it on the Cedar plank only adds to that feeling!
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 7×15” Cedar Plank
- Whole Steelhead, cleaned
- 3 bunches of Herbs – Dill, Sage, and Thyme
- 2 Lemons, one sliced for stuffing, one wedged for serving
- 3 Tbsp of Butter
- Salt & Pepper
Tie the fish with
twine to keep all
the goodies inside.
- Soak Cedar Plank in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill to 400°F.
- Stuff fish with herbs, lemon, and butter. Place on plank.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add loaded plank to grill and close lid.
- Have a spray bottle of water handy for flare-ups.
- Grill until thoroughly cooked and carefully remove from grill.
- Serve with lemon wedges.