Since firing up a grill isn’t always an option, it’s nice to have access to the same flavor profiles using cedar grilling wraps in the oven. The chicken in this recipe benefited quite a bit by staying incredibly juicy and also getting a noticeable hit of soft warmth from the cedar. It also must be noted that your kitchen will be filled with the same wonderful fragrance.
The fresh cucumber slices and kimchi mayo only compliment the sandwich, leaving the cedar kissed chicken to be the star of the show. You can split in half and serve with a side to share the sandwich, or go ahead and make a meal of it for yourself.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 1 Sandwich
- 3 slices Multigrain Bread, toasted
- 2 Chicken Thighs, boneless
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 8 slices Cucumber
- 2 Cedar Wraps with Twine
- ½ cup Mayo
- ½ cup Kimchi, drained
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Gochugaru (or chili flakes of your choice)
All components can be made ahead of time the day before. Store separately in the refrigerator and pile together right before you’re ready to eat.
- Heat your oven to 400˚F. Soak the cedar wrap in water for at least 5 minutes.
- Rub the chicken thighs with olive oil, salt, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Once the cedar wrap is flexible, wrap one sheet around each chicken thigh and secure with twine. Cook in the oven for about 25 min, until internal temperature reaches 165˚F.
- While the chicken is in the oven, roughly chop the kimchi to the desired size. Combine the kimchi, mayo, garlic powder, and gochugaru. Keep in the refrigerator until ready to assemble. Slice the cucumbers.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove and discard the cedar wraps. Roughly chop the thighs into bite-sized pieces.
- Build the club sandwich. Spread about a third of the kimchi mayo on one side of the toasted bread. Add half of the chicken thigh pieces and four slices of cucumber on top of that. Take a third of the kimchi mayo and spread it on both sides of another piece of bread, then repeat layering with the rest of the chicken thighs and cucumber.
- Finish with the rest of the mayo on the last piece of bread and top the sandwich. Use long toothpicks to hold the sandwich together.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.