Crème brulee is a classic dessert, but this technique makes it so easy. Delicate orange and cherry wood smoke flavors add a wonderful seasonal touch.
Total Time: 90 minutes
- ¼ cup Cherry Smoking Chips
- 8 Large Egg Yolks
- 20 fl oz. Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 Orange, zested
This recipe can easily be produced in the oven, however using a sous vide unit is easy and allows for a unique presentation.
- Heat the cream with the orange zest. Remove from the heat and strain.
- Place the orange-infused cream in a shallow dish and smoke for 1 hour with a smoking gun or in a cold smoker. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat a water bath with a sous vide unit to 176°F.
- Beat the eggs and sugar vigorously for 1 minute and add the cream. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture into 4, 4oz mason jars and place in the water bath.
- Cook for 1 hour and place the jars in the fridge for at least 3 hours or until cold and set (the crème brulee should have the consistency of jello)
- To serve, remove the lid and sprinkle with white sugar. Use a blow torch to evenly caramelize the sugar. Garnish with fresh orange and serve.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.