Slow smoking a large steak like a tri-tip is an easy way to make sure you hit your perfect target internal temperature. Add some veggies to your smoker and you will have a delicious no fuss meal that looks and tastes amazing.
Total Time: 90 minutes
Cherry Smoked Tri Tip
- Handful Cherry Wood Blocks
- 2.5-3 lb. Tri-Tip Steak
- 2 Tbsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Black Pepper
Foil Roasted Potatoes and Onions
- 1 lb. Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 medium Sweet Onion
- 2 Tbsp. Peanut Oil
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp. Black Pepper
You can add any type of vegetables to the foil pouch for variety. Baby carrots, cubed parsnips and cubed butternut squash would all be excellent choices.
- Trim any silverskin from the tri-tip and season on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters and thinly slice the onion.
- Toss the potatoes and onions together with the peanut oil, salt and pepper.
- Divide the potatoes and onions into two equal piles and wrap tightly into a pouch with aluminum foil.
- Prepare your charcoal grill for indirect heat. Add the chunks of cherry wood when grill is ready.
- Place the tri-tip on the grill, away from the heat.
- Place the foil pouches containing the potatoes and onions on the grill closer to the heat.
- Let the steak gently smoke at approximately 275°F for 90 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 135°F.
- Once the tri-tip reaches 135°F remove from the grill and tent with foil.
- Remove the foil pouches from the grill when the potatoes are tender.
- Slice the steak against the grain, serve with the vegetables and enjoy!
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.