Succulent juicy filet mignon topped with buttery delicious crab and a velvety smooth cream sauce… this fun take on a surf and turf is guaranteed to impress all!
Total Time: 30 minutes
- Red Oak Grilling Plank
- 2 Filet Mignon steaks
- 4 oz Crab Meat (I used claw meat)
- 4 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Garlic and Onion powders
- 1 Tbsp Cream Sherry
Crabs are high in protein and are an excellent source of niacin, vitamin B12, chromium, selenium, iron, zinc, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, and magnesium.
- Soak grilling plank in water for at least 15 minutes.
- Make white sauce by simmering 2 Tbsp butter and the cream in a pot over medium/low heat. Whisk the egg yolk in a small bowl, pour some of the hot cream into the egg to temper before adding it all back into pot, whisking quickly. Add salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and mustard and allow sauce to thicken slightly. Remove from heat and stir in cream sherry. Set sauce aside.
- Place filets on plank and season generously with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- In skillet place remaining 2 Tbsp of the butter in a skillet (I used cast iron on the grill). Add crab and thyme. Cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes while filets cook.
- Grill steaks over medium/high heat 10-12 minutes or until internal temp reaches 135˚-145˚ F.
- Top plank grilled filets with crab and cream sauce and sprinkle with fresh thyme.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.