Hickory and pork is a fantastic match. The tartness of the apple and BBQ sauce balances out the rich meat and turns this into an awesome sandwich.
Total Time: 30 minutes
When you form the patty, make a little indent in the center with your thumb to help keep it flat while cooking.
- Preheat a grill to 425°F and soak the planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- Add the ground pork to a mixing bowl with the sage, salt and pepper, combine well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 8 oz. portions and use your hands to form 4 patties. Make sure they are no wider than your planks.
- Place the patties on the planks and set on the grill.
- Close the lid of the grill and cook for 15 minutes or until you reach an internal temp of 160°F.
- Brush the top of each patty with a little BBQ sauce 5 minutes before they are done.
- To make the slaw, core the apple and slice into sticks. Immediately add the mayo, vinegar, and onions. Toss to combine.
- Briefly toast the buns on the grill, add the pork and top with slaw, serve with more BBQ sauce if you’re feeling saucy
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.