Looking for a healthier way to have a great pasta sauce? Look no further, this sauce is packed with so much flavor with an underlay of a rich, sweet, smoked squash.
Total Time: 1 hr, 45 min
- Northwest Blend Smoking Chips
- 1 Butternut Squash
- ½ Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Granules
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese
This sauce is very versatile, you can use it as a pasta sauce, and pair it with some grilled pork.
You can also serve as a soup as well, top it with some fresh herbs, toasted pine nuts, and a drizzle of heavy cream.
Another favorite way to use the sauce is when making lasagna, either a vegetarian or use lean meat such as ground turkey or chicken.
- Preheat or set up your grill for indirect grilling. You want a temperature around 375 – 400˚ F.
- Place butternut squash on a stable cutting board and cut in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds using a spoon.
- Place a couple big handfuls of the Wildwood Smoking Chips onto the coals, put your grill grate on and place the squash, skin-side down directly on the grill grate. Grill for one hour with lid closed.
- After an hour, flip squash over and place directly on grill for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from grill. Squash should be tender and easy to spoon out. Let the Squash cool down a little bit so it’s easier to spoon out. Remove all squash from the skin and put into your blender.
- Next add heavy cream, chicken broth, salt, & pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder into blender. Blend on a setting for soup/sauces or until the squash is a sauce like consistency.
- Pour into a saucepan and reheat sauce. Add in the grated parmesan cheese.
- Your sauce is ready to toss with some fresh cooked pasta or pour into a bowl for a delicious soup.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.