Anyone who thinks they don’t like oysters should try a freshly smoked oyster with this bright sauce before they fully swear them off. These are divine.
Total Time: 20 minutes
- Alder Smoking Chips
- 12 fresh large Oysters
- ¼ cup Champagne Vinegar
- 1 Lemon, juice and zest
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 1 Tbsp Parsley, chopped
No need to shuck these oysters before you smoke them. The heat from the grill will make them easier to open at the end.
- Preheat a charcoal grill, allow the coals to develop white hot.
- Remove any barnacles, etc from the oysters and rinse under cool, fresh water.
- Add a handful of smoking chips to the coals and place the oysters on the grill, cup side down. Place the lid on the grill.
- Cook 5 minutes, then add another round of chips. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove oysters from the grill and allow to cool a little before handling – 2-3 minutes.
- While the oysters cool, make the sauce. Combine vinegar with the lemon juice, zest, shallot, and parsley in a small bowl.
- Most of the oysters will have opened slightly. If any have not, use a shucking knife to finish the job by popping open the shell and discarding the top.
- Top each smoked oyster with some sauce and serve immediately. A little bit of your favorite hot sauce – optional.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.