We prepared this breakfast over an open fire, but any kind of grill or oven can also work.
Total Time: 45 minutes
- Cedar Grilling Wraps
- 12 oz. Ham, diced
- 2 Shallots
- 8 Assorted Chilis
- Kosher Salt and Pepper
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Soda
- ½ – ¾ cups Buttermilk
- Eggs (optional)
Both the wraps and bread dough can be made in advance, to make the morning a little easier!
Spicy Cedar Breakfast Wraps
- Light your fire and wait for the flames to die down so the hot coals can develop.
- Soak the wraps in warm water for several minutes.
- Peel and thiny slice the shallots. Deseed, remove the pith from the chilis and slice thinly.
- Place the ham in a mixing bowl with the shallots and chilies. Add some salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
- Lay the wraps out flat and divide the mixture evenly between them. Roll up each wrap and secure with twine.
- Cook the wraps for 10-15 minutes, or until the shallots have softened. Top the wraps with fried or scrambled eggs if you desire.
Skillet Soda Bread
- To make the soda bread, combine the flour, baking soda and a pinch of salt.
- Add the buttermilk a little at a time and mix until it comes together.
- Lay the dough on a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a ball and flatten it into a 1 ½” thick disk. Cut into triangular quarters.
- Dust a cast iron skillet with some flour and add the dough.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes and turn over, cook for a further 6-8 minutes or until no longer doughy. Add more flour to the skillet if it starts to get too dark.
- Serve the breakfast wraps hot with the soda bread and plenty of butter.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.