Total Time: 45 minutes
- Alder Grilling Plank
- 1 lb. Oyster Mushrooms
- 3 dried Pasilla Chili Pods
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 3 Black Peppercorns
- 3 whole Cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Olive Oil
- Tortillas of choice
- Cabbage, shredded
- Lime wedges
- Cotija Cheese
Use this mushroom carnitas base for anything! Over rice, in a burrito, in an egg scramble…
- Soak planks in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven or grill to 400˚F.
- Toss mushrooms in olive oil and place on soaked planks. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow the mushrooms to cool and using your hands or a fork, pull into shreds. Set aside.
- Seed and remove stems from Pasilla chili pods. Toast in a cast iron skillet over medium heat, turning frequently until lightly blackened.
- Boil 1 quart of water, remove from heat, and add toasted chili pods. Place a plate over pods to submerge under water. Let steep for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove chili pods, reserving liquid, and place the chilis in a blender with the garlic, peppercorns, cloves, and salt. Add 1 ½ cups of chili water to blender and puree until completely smooth, 2-3 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Pour chili sauce into oil and reduce by 1/3. Pull off heat.
- Mix sauce with mushrooms and serve in tortillas with shredded cabbage, cilantro, cotija cheese, and lime.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.
Used in this recipe: