This dish combines the simple flavors of kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and garlic powder with the essence of smoke. You’ll find all kinds of uses for Daryl’s SPG rub, which is abbreviated for salt, pepper, and garlic, the only 3 ingredients in this simple rub recipe.
Total Time: 3-4 hours
- Northwest Blend Smoking Chips
- 1 whole Chicken, split in two halves
- Olive Oil
SPG Rub Recipe:
- 2 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp. cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
Remember to smoke, not grill these ribs as the sugar in the rub will burn if placed over direct flame.
- Preheat your smoker so that the temp is between 275° and 300°F.
- Split chicken vertically into two halves.
- Lightly coat chicken with olive oil, to act as a binder for the rub.
- Liberally coat chicken halves on both side with the SPG rub.
- Use smoking chips as per your smokers’ directions.
- Place chicken in smoker for 3 hours, or until internal temperature is 170° degrees.
- Remove chicken from smoker once done, and serve with your favorite barbecue sauce or glaze.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.