Nothing says “grilling” like a good piece of beef! For this flat iron steak recipe, we chose a Hickory plank for its strong, bold, smokey flavor. It pairs nicely with the sweet and spicy dry rub.
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
- 5 x 11” Hickory Plank
- 2 pounds Flat Iron Steak
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp. Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- ½ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Cumin
Adjust the amount of cayenne
pepper depending on how
spicy you want this rub.
Leftover rub is great on
- Mix all the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub seasoning mix evenly on the Flat Iron Steak; refrigerate 2-4 hours.
- Soak Hickory plank in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill to 400°F.
- Place seasoned Flat Iron Steak on the Hickory plank.
- Grill with the lid closed for 8-10 minutes.
- Have a spray bottle of water handy for flare-ups.
- Remove from grill and rest for 5 minutes before slicing.