Parsnips develop a rich flavor when roasted and the addition of some fresh wood adds an extra punch. These can be eaten straight off the grill but we decided to turn them into a tasty soup.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 5″ x 11″ Hickory planks
- 2 lb. Parsnips, peeled and sliced in half
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 1 loaf Sourdough Bread
- 1/2 cup Candied Pecans (optional)
This soup works really well garnished with candied pecans.
- Soak planks in warm water for 15 minutes and pre-heat the grill or oven to 400°F.
- Place parsnips and onions on plank. Drizzle 2 Tbsp. of olive oil and a pinch of ground pepper.
- Place plank on grill and roast for 20 minutes until tender. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat the remaining olive oil Add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the roasted parsnips, 2 cups water, stock cube, cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend until smooth and reheat to serve.
For the crostini:
- Slice the sourdough into half inch slices.
- Drizzle with olive oil and fresh chopped rosemary.
- Place on the grill for 30 seconds on each side.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.