Cooking chicken on the grill can be tricky because it dries out so quickly. That’s why for this recipe, we decided to cook the chicken in a cast iron skillet with an orange juice mixture. We also used Cherry wood smoking chips, which are the perfect flavor combination for chicken. They infuse a sweet smoke flavor that pairs well with chicken. Top with your favorite herbs and some fresh lemon and orange slices, and you have a tasty (and beautiful) meal.
Total Time: 45 minutes
- Cherry Smoking Chips
- 1 1/2 lb. Chicken Thighs, skinless
- 1 Orange, sliced
- 1 Lemon, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Thyme, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- Salt & Pepper
- Soak Cherry smoking chips in water for 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill to 250-275°F. Add smoking chips.
- Combine orange juice, soy sauce, brown sugar and rice vinegar in pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken thighs and sliced orange & lemon to cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Pour orange juice mixture over chicken into cast iron skillet.
- Place on grill over direct heat and close the grill lid.
- Cook for 1 to 1/2 hours or until chicken thighs are cooked thoroughly.
- When done, remove from grill and serve with your favorite side or slice up chicken and eat in your salad.