This is a new method for us, we heavily smoked some vinegar and used it to pickle some fresh vegetables.
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1/2 Cup Cherry smoking chips
- 1/2 Quart Seasoned Rice Wine Binegar
- 1 Tbsp. Pickling Spice
- 1 Lb. Vegetables cut into sticks
(We used cucumber, celery root, green beans, carrots and peppers)
We use seasoned rice wine vinegar, which already contains sugar and salt, to cut out the step of dissolving sugar and salt into the pickling mixture.
1 Soak chips for up to an hour.
2. Combine the vinegar and pickling spice.
3. Place vinegar in a container and smoke with a cold smoker or smoking gun.
4. Stir and re-apply smoke every 30 minutes.
5. Set a sous vide unit to 190°F for 20 minutes or heat a pot of water to the same temp.
6. Strain the vinegar and add to a seal-able bag with the vegetables.
7. Submerse the bag in the water and cook for 20 minutes.
8. Remove and place in an ice bath.
9. Serve chilled and enjoy.