Smoked clarified butter makes a great addition to lemony hollandaise sauce.
Total Time: Hours
- 4 Alder wraps
- 1/2 Cup maple chips
- 1 Lb Butter
- 12oz Ham, diced
- 1 Bell Pepper, sliced
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 Tbs. Kosher salt
- 1 Tbs. Black Pepper
- 8 Eggs
- 4 Eggs separated
- 1/2 Lemon
Smoked butter loses its flavor in about 3 days so use it while it is fresh.
1. Soak the wraps and chips in water for several minutes. Heat the grill or oven to 450°F.
2. To clarify the butter heat it up, then pour the fat off leaving the white solids, discard the solids.
Place the butter in a container, with a cold smoker or smoking gun, stir and add smoke every 30 minutes for 2 hours.
3. Place the ham, peppers and onions on the wrap, Roll up and secure with twine. Set on the grill for 15 minutes.
4. Over a double boiler beat the eggs with the lemon juice until fluffy. Warm the butter and slowly add to the eggs to emulsify by constantly whisking.
5. Poach eggs to desired doneness by cooking them in simmering water.
6. Top the wrap with eggs, chives and sauce to serve.