Dessert tacos are amazing if you have the right combination of acid, sweet, texture, and temperature. This recipe is to show off your skills, blowing the minds of your guests with bourbon roasted strawberries and smoky flavors. Don’t be afraid to double this recipe, it’s worth the effort!
Total Time: 60 minutes (30 min cook time)
Servings: 6 tacos
- 2 C strawberries, cut in half
- ¼ C maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
- 1 Tbsp coconut vinegar
- Pinch of kosher salt to taste
- 1 slice of challah bread, preferably sliced 1” thick
- 1 Large egg
- 2 Tbsp milk (not skim)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Maple Grilling Plank
- Whipped cream
- 2 Tbsp Maple sugar or turbinado sugar (optional)
- 6 fresh corn tortillas
- Fresh mint leaves (for garnish)
If you can’t find coconut vinegar, use a sweet balsamic for a completely different flavor profile. You can also mix it up by using this recipe as a topping for amazing French toast if you don’t want to make tacos (but who doesn’t want tacos?!).
- For the strawberries: Mix all of the ingredients into a large zipper storage bag and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Mix the bag around at least once during this time to ensure even absorption.
- Soak a Maple plank in hot water for about 20 minutes.
- Set up your grill for indirect grilling, aim for 400 degrees F.
- Place the strawberries face-down on the maple plank, and set on the grill. These will take 20-25 minutes to roast, check on them after about 10 minutes to make sure nothing slides off. Keep the reserved marinade for an optional step.
- Mix all of the French Toast ingredients together except for the bread and butter. Prepare a nonstick pan on medium heat and add the butter.
- While this melts the butter, slice the bread into 1” strips. Ideally you’ll have at least six 1”x1” strips of bread.
- Once the butter is melted and the pan is up to temp, dip the bread sticks into the batter and straight into the pan. Make sure to sear the sticks on each side for even cooking, should take about 5 minutes.
- (Optional) Pour the marinade into a small pan, add a pinch of maple sugar and reduce by ½ volume over low heat.
- To assemble: Warm a fresh corn tortilla, top with the French toast, strawberries, syrup, whipped cream, mint and maple sugar on top.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.