French dip is a whole meal with just a few steps.
Total Time: 3 hours
- Hickory Smoking Blocks
- 2 Beef Chuck Roasts
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Yellow Onion (sliced thinly)
- Chicken Stock (32oz)
- Crusty Rolls or a Baguette
Onions add a great topping to these beef dip sandwiches. Warm them on the grill for the last few minutes for extra tastiness.
- Set up smoker to run at 250F with light hickory smoke
- Trim any unwanted fat on 2 Chuck roasts and season with kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Place chuck roasts over indirect heat on the smoker and mist every hour with cold cider vinegar.
- Align a heat safe pan with the sliced onion, salt pepper.
- When Chuck roasts reach an internal temperature of 170F / ~77C, place chuck roasts in the pan on the bed of onions. Add the stock and cover. Place back on smoker or in oven.
- Chuck is a pretty stubborn roast and you have to take the internal temperature up around 210F / ~99C for it to be fork tender.
- When check is for tender let rest 30 minutes.
- Remove roasts and shred with 2 forks, removing any chunks of fat.
- Strain onions from braising liquid and reserve both (jus).
- To build a sandwich pile shredded beef in roll and pour some of the jus over. Serve with a dish of jus for dipping. (top with onions if you like)
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.