Frenching the chicken drums into a lollipop might take a little practice your first time, but don’t let it intimidate you!
Total Time: 30 minutes
- Maple Grilling Plank
- Chicken Legs
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Salt Free Creole Seasoning
- Barbecue Sauce of choice
To create a two-zone fire, position coals on one side of the grill for direct, high-heat cooking and searing and leave the other side empty. You can use the side without coals for lower-temperature cooking and as a safe zone for flare-ups.
- Soak Maple Plank in warm water for at least 15 minutes.
- Set up grill for 2-Zone cooking.
- Trim chicken legs, removing all skin/tendons from the meat to the knuckle.
- Season with Kosher salt and creole seasoning. You can substitute salt/pepper or use a creole/cajon seasoning that contains salt here.
- Remove plank from water and arrange legs on the plank.
- Cook over direct heat, watching closely for any flare ups.
- Cook until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 160˚F, then glaze chicken in BBQ sauce and put back over the heat for another 20 minutes to let the glaze set.
- Chicken is done when the internal temperature reads 165˚F.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.