Skirt steak grills up really quickly, and smoking the salsa ingredients make this dish really pop.
Total Time: 20 minutes
1 Cup Mesquite smoking chips
1 Jalapeno, halved
1 Onion, quartered
2 Tomatoes, scored
1/2 Cup Cilantro, chopped
1 Lime, juiced
2 Lbs. Skirt Steak
1 Tbs. Chili Powder
1 Tbs. Kosher Salt
1/2 Tbs. ground Cumin
Keep the lid closed as much as possible during the smoking process.
Remove the seeds and pith of the jalapeno for a milder salsa.
1. Soak the chips for up to an hour and pre-heat the grill to 250°F.
2. Place the jalapeno, onion and tomatoes on in-direct heat and add half of the chips to the coals or smoker box. Smoke the vegetables for 1 hour, adding the rest of the chips after 30 minutes.
3. Turn up the grill to 450°F.
4. Season the beef with chili powder, salt and cumin. Grill for 3 minutes per side.
5. While the beef cooks, finely dice the salsa ingredients and add the cilantro and lime juice.
6. Serve the beef with the salsa and top with crema.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.