At Wildwood, we always try to come up with new menu items that can be planked, wrapped and smoked. So it was only natural to dive into the vast and sweet world of desserts. This apple galette with cranberries turned our deliciously smoky and sweet on the Cherry plank, which protected the dough from direct flame. Bonus: You can make these in your oven, too! Just alter the recipe accordingly and make sure everything is cooked before serving. Read this article for tips about oven planking.
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 Wildwood Grilling 5×11″ Cherry Planks
- 1 Package of Pie Crust (or make your own)
- 2 Apples
- 1/2 cup Cranberries
- 2 Tbsp. Pomegranate Juice
- 2 Tbsp. Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 Egg
By preheating the planks
and refrigerating the galettes,
the chance of the dough
sticking to the planks is
- Soak the Cherry planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill to 350°F.
- Slice apples into thin pieces. Place in bowl and add cranberries, pomegranate juice, lemon juice and sugar.
- Let dough warm up to room temperature and divide into 4 balls. Roll out into small circles.
- Whisk egg and brush onto top side of dough circles.
- Place apple mixture in middle of rolled out dough. Fold edges over to create galette.
- Brush whisked egg onto the folded edges. Sprinkle with cane sugar.
- Place galettes on plate, cover with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes.
- When grill is preheated, place soaked Cherry planks on grill and close lid. Do not leave unattended, and do not let burn. Simply preheat the planks for 3-5 minutes.
- Take planks off grill and place refrigerated galettes onto planks (2 per plank). Place on grill.
- Cook for 10 – 15 minutes, or until dough is cooked. Do not leave grill unattended and keep a spray bottle of water nearby for flare-ups.
- When done, remove from grill and serve with vanilla ice cream. Optional: Top with crushed pecans, blueberries and more cranberries.