If you haven’t made a salmon burger before we highly recommend you give it a try! Pickled fennel and a zesty paprika mayo add a ton of flavor, and made this recipe an instant favorite around the office.
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 Cedar Grilling Planks
- 24 oz. chopped raw Salmon
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Panko Bread Crumbs
- 4 Tbsp. Green Onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. coarse Salt
- 4 Burger Buns
- 1 Fennel bulb
- ¼ cup Water
- ¾ cup White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. Saffron
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ Tbsp. Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
The pickled fennel can be made the day of, but the flavor will only improve if you can make it a few days in advance.
- Preheat the grill or oven to 425°F, and soak the planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- Place the salmon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add mustard, bread crumbs, green onions, and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Form the mixture into 4 equal sized patties and set aside.
- To make the pickled fennel, trim the stalks from the fennel bulb. Cut out the core and thinly slice. Add the sliced fennel and saffron to a heat-safe bowl.
- Add the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar to a pan and bring to a boil.
- Pour the boiling vinegar mixture over the fennel and saffron and cover, leave to cool. This can be done in advance.
- To make the sauce combine mayo with paprika and lemon juice, set aside.
- Set the salmon patties on the grilling planks and place on the grill.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until done.
- To serve, quickly toast the buns on the grill and spread some paprika mayo on the bottom half, top with the salmon patty and pickled fennel.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.