Even though Cedar planked salmon is the classic planking recipe everyone thinks of, we think planked cheese should be right up there, too. Cheese absorbs the smoky flavor very well, and Cedar smoke is the perfect flavor addition to Brie, Camembert and other soft cheeses with a rind. So next time you have a dinner party, forget those plain old cold cuts with cheese and crackers, and serve a steaming, smoking wheel of planked Brie – your friends will thank you!
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 5 x 11” Cherry Plank
- 8 ounce wheel of Brie
- 1 cup water
- 3” piece of fresh ginger, sliced into 6 rounds
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 pound rhubarb, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
- Baguette slices or crackers for serving
Good to Know
Brush baguette slices
with olive oil and place
on grill for a few minutes
for smoky flavor and those
beautiful grill marks.
- Soak Cherry Plank in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- In a nonreactive saucepan, bring the water, ginger, sugar and honey to a boil to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the rhubarb and slowly simmer 5-10 minutes until the rhubarb is soft.
- Remove from the heat and add the strawberries.
- Cool to room temperature and remove the ginger rounds.
- Preheat grill to 400°F.
- Place the wheel of cheese on the soaked cherry plank.
- Carefully place the planked cheese on the grill and close the lid.
- Grill with the lid closed until the cheese is warmed all the way through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Have a spray bottle of water handy for flare-ups.
- Remove from the grill, top with ½ cup strawberry rhubarb compote.
- Serve with additional compote and baguette slices or crackers.