Whether you know this egg and toast dish as “Toad in the Hole” or “Egg in the Basket,” it’s a delicious and simple recipe to plank. We chose the fragrant smoke of Cedar to pair well with the egg and bread.
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 5x11” Cedar Plank
- 2 slices of Whole Wheat Bread
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan
- Salt & Pepper
Lightly oil the plank
to prevent sticking.
- Soak Cedar Plank in water for 1 hour, keeping it immersed.
- Preheat grill to 350°F.
- Cut 3” holes (using metal measuring cup or water glass) in the centers of each slice of bread.
- Beat 2 of the eggs with milk and paprika, salt, and pepper. Dip bread in egg mixture. Place on planks. Crack one egg into each of the holes.
- Place on grill, sprinkle with Parmesan and a bit more salt and pepper. Close the lid and grill until done. About 20 minutes.
- Have a spray bottle of water handy for flare-ups.
- Serve and enjoy!