Grilling doesn’t always have to be all about meat (though we’re not complaining about recipes like these buffalo chicken bites). But sometimes, grilling fresh fruit and vegetables can be just as satisfying and allow the grillmaster to tap into their creative side. This planked eggplant and heirloom tomato recipe is the perfect summertime recipe for any grillmaster.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 Alder Planks
- 2 medium or 1 large Eggplant, washed and dried
- 1 packed cup fresh Basil Leaves, washed and dried
- Juice of ½ large Lemon
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp. fine Sea Salt
- ½ tsp. Black Pepper
- 3 large Heirloom Tomatoes, washed and dried
Set aside some extra basil
leaves and salt flakes
- Soak the grilling planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill or oven to 365°F.
- Add the basil leaves, lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and pepper to a blender and process until the sauce is smooth.
- Cut the ends off the eggplant and cut lengthwise into ⅔-in wide slices. Place the eggplant slices on the planks, brush the basil sauce over top and bake or grill until cooked and soft, about 15-25 mins.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into thin slices.
- Remove the cooked eggplants from the oven and top with layers of the cut tomatoes.
- Drizzle with the leftover basil sauce, garnish with more basil leaves, if desired, and sprinkle with salt and black pepper to taste.