These Red Oak planked meatball subs are a perfect game day snack or weeknight dinner that are sure to get you tons of compliments!
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 Red Oak Grilling Planks
- 1 lb Ground Chuck
- 1 Egg, beaten
- ⅔ cup Sweet Onion, diced
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- ½ cup Breadcrumbs, dried
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper, ground
- 1 cup Marinara Sauce
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- 4 Sub Rolls
- Fresh Basil and Parmesan for garnish
To prepare your grill for two-zone cooking position all the charcoal on one side of the grill. The side of the grill with the coals will be your high-heat cooking environment, and the other side of the grill is your indirect heat zone.
- Prepare your grill for two-zone medium heat (350° to 450° F) and soak grilling planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, egg, onion, parmesan, bread crumbs, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Using a scale, separate the meat mixture into 4-ounce portions and with wet hands, roll into balls.
- Equally load the meatballs on the planks making sure they do not touch.
- Place the loaded planks over direct heat and grill with the lid closed for 5 minutes.
- Move the planks to indirect heat and grill for another 15 minutes.
- Top the meatballs with the marinara sauce and grill for 5 more minutes.
- Top the meatballs with the grated mozzarella and continue to grill until the meatballs internal temperature reads 155°F with an instant-read thermometer.
- Split the sub rolls and grill cut side down over direct medium heat until marked, approximately 30 seconds.
- Load the sub rolls with the meatballs and top with grated parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil to taste.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.