You’ve never tried chicken like this before! The double action from the grilling plank and smoking chips gives the best kiss of smoke to this warmly spiced chicken. Yum!
It’s worth investing in a good pair of kitchen shears for projects like this!
- Prepare a grill for indirect-medium heat (350° to 450° F). If using a charcoal grill, add several chunks of cherry wood to the hot coals. If using a pellet grill, use cherry wood pellets.
- Place the chicken breast-side down on the countertop. Remove the backbone of the chicken with a pair of poultry shears by cutting down each side of the backbone.
- Flip the chicken over. Cut the chicken between the breasts until the chicken separates into two pieces.
- Lightly brush each chicken side with olive oil and season equally and generously with Boom Boom Chicken Rub.
- Place the chicken halves on the planks cut side down. Grill over indirect-medium heat for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the breast meat has an internal temperature of 165° F.
- Remove from the grill, tent with foil, and allow to rest approximately 15 minutes before serving.
*Keep a spray bottle of water handy in case of flare-ups.